For Visitors


For Visits Under 90 Days

The necessity for obtaining a visa depends on the country from which your passport was issued. Visitors from many countries will not need a visa if the stay is 90 days or shorter and/or if you will not receive a salary or pay during your stay in Japan (this excludes travel expenses or per diems.)

  • 1) Please look at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website to find out about the Japanese entry visa.
  • 2) Necessary documents can be found on the website above. However, if you are not sure, we recommend that you contact the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate General of Japan.
  • 3) ELSI will prepare the support documents for your application. Please send us a copy of your passport and itinerary as mail attachments. Once everything is ready, ELSI will send it to you by email and by post.
  • 4) Submit all the documents to your nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate General of Japan.

For Visits Over 90 Days

All visitors staying longer than 90 consecutive days in Japan or those will receive a salary or remuneration (this excludes travel expenses) must obtain what is called a "Professor Visa" even if you will not fulfill professorship duties.
Please visit our Visa and Certificate of Eligibility page for more details. For all foreigners staying in Japan over 90 days, regardless of whether you are staying in a hotel or temporary housing, you must register your address at your city office. We can advise you about this after your arrival.

Points to Note:
Many countries require a minimum of 6 months validity left on your passport. When planning a trip to Japan or when applying for a Professor Visa, please make sure that there is a safe window of well over 6 months to avoid possible denial of entry.